Save the Children Bhutan Country Office in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, Department of Disaster Management, Paro Dzongkhag Administration and the Central Monastic Body successfully completed implementation of the 18 month project titled “Comprehensive Disaster Management Project for the Education Sector’ funded by DiPECHO and Save the Children Norway.
Some of the highlights of this project in this round were:
- Development of the Disaster Management and Contingency Plan (DM and CP) for the Ministry of Education
- Development of the Paro Dzongkhag Disaster Management Plan using the Community Based Disaster Risk Management-Hazard Vulnerability Capacity Assessment Process
- Development of the Standard Key Messages for Bhutan: Key Messages for Household Level and Specific Hazards
- Development of the Teachers Handbook for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Development of Teaching Learning Materials for the Monastic Schools and Posters for the community, and;
- The Process documents for the DM and CP for MoE and the Paro Dzongkhag DM Plan
The End of Project meeting for the- ‘Comprehensive Disaster Management Project for the Education Sector’ was held on 24th November, 2016 at Le Meridian, Thimphu. The meeting was chaired by Hon’ble Secretary of Ministry of Education, and was attended by Tsugla Secretary of Central Monastic Body, Director of the Department of Disaster Management, Mr. David Sevcik, Head of the South Asia Regional Office for European Commission Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO), Mr. Piush Kayastha, Programme Officer for ECHO office in Kathmandu, the National Director for Save the Children and officials from the partner agencies and Gross National Happiness Commission among others. Through the course of the half day meeting the participants were taken through the project activities, achievements and challenges. The meeting ended on a positive note with discussions on the way forward and taking forward of the project outcomes.